Monday, April 04, 2005

Enjoying My Back Yard

Chit-chatting about the lovely spring weather, a lady at church one Sunday, years ago, commented the she’d been enjoying her back yard. I was baffled because I’d seen her diminutive, rather unkempt back yard once or twice. It wasn’t particularly scenic. I didn’t recall there being a garden or hammock or exotic trees and shrubs, and I couldn’t imagine myself enticed to loiter in a yard like that on a beautiful spring day.

Yesterday, I figured out what she’d meant because I started enjoying our own back yard. Ours isn’t much to speak of, either -- a fraction of an acre with a bent-T-shaped clearing surrounded by trees. By the end of April, a thick canopy of foliage keeps it constantly shaded, so grass fares poorly in the hard clay soil. But when I took our dogs back for their periodic nature call yesterday and we emerged into the miniature open “run” at the rear boundary, it was idyllic: a green slope drenched in sunlight. The dogs delighted and relaxed, nosing about the ivy patches on the perimeter and the fescue clumps here and there as their brief, routine excursion was extended into a meaningful outing. One luxury we do have is a rustic post swing (a wise day’s project I undertook last year). As I found myself “enjoying my back yard” from the vantage point of the swing, I was amused to remember my puzzlement at the woman’s observation from springtime past.

NOTE: Back yards are even better when you have a couple of happy dogs to entertain you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home