Thursday, June 09, 2005

A Serendipity Blessing: Foster!

My, oh, my! Out of the blue, I received this week a massive collection of the songs and compositions of one Stephen Collins Foster, republished in the 1930s.

As a child, I used to think Foster’s music was borderline boring. As I entered my 30s, some of his works began to stir my very soul. They do that now, more than ever.

When a friend at church asked me recently if I might have any use for a collection of Stephen Foster sheet music, I said maybe. What it turned out to be was a 30-pound box of files she’d acquired at a library auction some years ago. She was “tired of tripping over them” in her house, but she didn't want to throw them in the garbage. If she could find someone who appreciated Foster’s works. . . . (Sort of like putting a pet up for adoption, I suppose.)

Wow! Am I looking forward to digging into this! You’re liable to find Foster lyrics quoted at this blog for many months to come. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home