Thursday, August 04, 2005

Child Criminals

The latest newsletter from Metro Ministries (http://www.metroministries.org/) includes director Bill Wilson’s commentary on the recent killing of an 11-year-old girl by a 9-year-old friend in New York. The girl who allegedly committed the murder apparently became enraged while bickering over a rubber ball.

Wilson, whose inner-city ministry I heartily support, draws somber parallels between this case and the biblical record of Samuel and Saul in the book of I Samuel. One of the points Wilson makes is that “we have to become responsible for our own actions as individuals and as a nation.” I couldn’t agree more. I’ve long held that politics and media -- which seem to have alarmingly indoctrinated Planet Earth citizens of all stripes -- are the least promising avenues along which to pursue a better America and a better world. Not only do politicians and journalists not have all the answers; they don’t have any of them. If you’re pinning your hopes on who might be running for office in 2006 and 2008, and trusting in the news conglomerates and their politically motivated presenters to inform you, I believe you’re hopelessly lost. (I might add that guns had nothing to do with the New York tragedy. At issue isn’t the modus operandi; it’s the heart. God can fix that. Legislators and thought police never will fix it.)

Without preaching further, I would encourage you to visit Bill on the Web. He and I may or may not have political differences (he doesn’t publicize his politics and I’ve never probed), but unquestionably he’s a Christian laboring in the trenches. Join him, please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home